For a number of years, New England’s ski resorts have been investing in a wide range of attractions and activities designed to encourage families to visit all year round. This summer, there seems to be an emphasis on attractions of interest to families with teens and tweens at some of our favorite New England summer destinations. If you are heading to New Hampshire’s White Mountains this summer be sure to check out the new Adventure Park at Mount Cranmore in the Mount Washington Valley. In Vermont, Smugglers’ Notch is adding a number of new summer adventure options and jazzing up its day camp and evening programs for teens and tweens.
Mt. Cranmore Mountain Adventure Park Opens Memorial Day Weekend
The new Mt. Cranmore Mountain Adventure Park opened Memorial Day weekend. It offers plenty of action and thrills to keep teens and tweens busy all day. These include:
- An Aerial Adventure Park with a high ropes course through the trees that includes rope ladders, bridges, cargo nets and ziplines
- A chairlift serviced Mountain Coaster which drops over 1300 feet at speeds of up to 25 miles an hour
- A giant swing
- Summer tubing
- A Four Plex euro-style trampoline
- An 18-hole disc golf course
- Chairlift rides
- Bounce houses and more
A wide range of ticket options and combo passes are available on the Cranmore web site. Reservations are recommended for scheduled 3-hour sessions in the Aerial Adventure Park. Stay and Play lodging and ticket packages are also available for a number of area hotels including the Red Jacket Inn, home to the an indoor water park!
Smugglers’ Notch Updates Teen and Tween Activities
Vermont’s Smugglers’ Notch resort is well known for its teen and tween winter programs. The resort has long offered summer days camps and evening programs for kids, teens and tweens as well, but this year they are updating the options for teens including:
- Introducing Adventure Connection family packages that include outings like the Arbotrek zip line course, llama treks, canoeing or kayaking, and a Segway tour.
- Adding an outdoor, high-definition video screen measuring 12×19 feet that will be set up for Big Screen Night for teens on Thursdays at 9 pm, under the stars.
- Continuing to offer night time teen and tween parties — such as the glow in the dark night programs with a DJ dance party and glow in the dark ping pong— as well as late night swims at the Courtside Pool, evening teen gatherings at the indoor FunZone, and a nightime dodgeball tournament.
Of course, in addition to all the man-made attractions, New England’s four-season ski resorts continue to feature beautiful scenery and lots of opportunities to take day hikes in the mountains. If you go, let us know what you think of these newest summer activities for teens and tweens in the mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont.
Photos courtesy of the resorts