Boston offers a lot to do any time teens and tweens and their families come to town. We’ve got a long list of favorites for visiting families to try.
Based on years of experience, we are happy to share our Top Ten list of the best things to do in the greater Boston area during a family vacation or college visit with teens and tweens:
- Visit Fenway Park for a tour or a Red Sox game
- Take a Walk on the Freedom Trail, the Harbor Walk or the Emerald Necklace
- Explore Boston’s historic waterfront for dinner and shopping in Faneuil Hall or the North End
- Visit Boston for the Fourth of July and Harbor Week celebrations
- Take a Duck Tour around town by land and by sea
- Spend a day playing mini golf, bumper boats and more at Kimball Farm (don’t miss the ice cream!)
- Take a day trip to see the mansions in Newport, Rhode Island
- Check in with the teen concierge at the Omni Parker House for some great ideas on places to shop and get some local flavor
- Visit at least one college. Whether Northeastern’s urban campus, BU’s high rises, Harvard’s ivy or MIT’s technology there is probably a college here for you. Don’t forget suburban campuses like Babson College or Wellesley College.
- Give mom and dad a night off to enjoy the town on their own for a few hours while the teens go to a movie or shop some more!
Need even more ideas? Did we mention Boston’s signature museums including the Fine Arts Museum and the Institute for Contemporary Art? Like the water? Boston Harbor Cruises offers whale watches, harbor tours and the Codzilla high speed thrill ride. High speed ferries depart frequently for Provincetown if you want to visit Cape Cod for a day. Or closer to the city, water shuttles make regular visits one or more of the Boston Harbor Islands where you can explore a Civil War era fort or use a Park GPS to do a little islandcaching. The Aquarium is another teen favorite.
Hubway offers bike rentals from stations all over town and Segways tours are available starting on Commercial Street not far from the TD Bank Boston Garden – where the Bruins and Celtics play. After your tour, take in a game or a concert.
There is so much to do, you will almost certainly have to come back more than once.