All across ski country the temperatures are dropping and the snow guns are roaring. Most of our favorite New England ski and snowboard resorts expect to open between now and Thanksgiving. Some, like Killington, have already opened. For readers in the greater-Boston area, the November 8-11, 2012 Boston.com Ski and Snowboard Expo at the Seaport World Trade Center, offers one stop shopping for planning ski vacations, checking out new equipment, buying discount lift tickets and keeping the kids, teens and tweens entertained.
The Expo is expecting about 150 exhibitors, including just about every mountain in the East and many from out West. Most of the major ski and snowboard equipment and clothing manufacturers will be there as well. The Expo is generally a fun outing for families with kids of all ages. Entertainment will include:
- The World Slackline Federation (WSF) World Championships: a professional slacklining competition featuring the top world ranking pros performing aerial and gymnastics maneuvers while balancing on a two-inch wide trampoline known as a slackline
- Poster signings and meetings with such stars as Hannah Kearney, reigning Olympic mogul gold medalist and former Olympic gold mogul skier Donna Weinbrecht. Olympic gold medalists Tommy Moe, Jackson Hole, WY, and Seth Wescott, Sugarloaf, Maine will also be on hand.
- Greetings and meetings with Boston Red Sox mascot Wally the Green Monster on Saturday afternoon
- The SkyRiders! aerial trampoline show of Guinness World Record holder Ken Kovach
- The Stowe Kids SnowPark learning center where kids can get their first taste of sliding on mini-skis and snowboards.
- A tour of the new WBZ Mobile AccuWeather Lab vehicle making its inaugural Expo appearance.
- The Long Trail Beer Garden and performances by regional musicians
- The Vitamin Water Fall Brawl Street Skate Contest on the Waterville Valley street course
- The Cross Country Ski Areas Association Ski Demo Track
Check the Boston.com Ski & Snowboard Expo web site for show times, ticket prices and a schedule of what is going on each day, as different guests will be there at different times. Hint: discount coupons are available on the web site.
We expect to hit the floor of the Expo over the weekend and will report back next week as to what we discover in the way of great ski and snowboard deals and destinations for families with teens and tweens.
Photo courtesy Boston.com Ski & Snowboard Expo