Again this year, over 100 travel bloggers are banding together during the holiday season to raise money for a good cause. Last the year, this group raised over $110,000 for Water.org! This year, the goal is to raise $115,000 for buildOn to construct three schools and fund three adult literacy programs in the Sikasso region of southern Mali, Africa. The Passports With Purpose program selected buildOn for its 2 decades long track record of mobilizing rural communities in some of the poorest countries in the world to build 567 schools.
The fun part for you travel blog readers is the way this fundraiser works. Simply visit the Prize Catalog page on the Passports with Purpose website to see all the great prizes that travel bloggers and their sponsors have donated for the fundraiser. For a $10 you get one “raffle ticket” in a drawing to win the prize of your choice. Chances of winning a specific prize depend on how many people make a donation for a chance on that prize. Feel free to donate as much as you like. The fundraiser is run by volunteer travel bloggers so all money minus a small PayPal fee goes directly to buildOn. All donations are tax-deductible.
We just got done making donations for our five favorite prizes, brought to you by some of our favorite travel bloggers! Looking for some inspiration, stop by and read the details about our choices, then visit the full prize catalog and pick your own.
- $300 to spend at the Choice Hotel of your choosing, brought to us by Kidventurous. We like this one because Choice Hotels are located near many of our friends and family so we are sure to be able to put them to good use.
- A night at the Hotel Vermont and breakfast for two at their signature restaurant Juniper hosted by our fellow New England family travel Find and Go Seek.
- Two nights and breakfast for two guests at the Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville hosted by Yummy Mummy Club. Have we mentioned that we’ve been to Toronto twice this year (so far) for hockey tournaments… this would be a great place to warm up after a cold day at the rink!
- A three-night stay in a Two Bedroom Deluxe Suite at the Ocean Club Resorts in Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands, British West Indies, brought to us by Trekaroo. This is going to be a popular prize but hey, who wouldn’t want to get a free family beach vacation!
- The Emperor 85L internal frame backpack by Guerrilla Packs, hosted by Art of Adventuring. The Princess is interested in studying geology at college so this would be great for fieldtrips!
This is just a small selection of the available prizes — and, if there is nothing that suits your fancy you can make a donation without taking a chance on a prize. Thanks again to all the great travel bloggers who are supporting Passports with Purpose this year!
Photo courtesy buildOn